Monday, June 8, 2015

Guest Post: Don Semora

I am honored to have a very special guest visiting my blog today. My goal is to introduce this talented artist to other budding authors like myself who may be feeling nervous about stepping into the turbulent world of publishing. So if you are in the middle of writing a book and are starting to think about (GASP) cover designs and (BIGGER GASP) actually publishing your work, I hope you will find this interview informative.

Mr. Don Semora is a graphic designer who specializes in book covers and book layout. He has designed more than six hundred covers in his career. Don offers custom designs and layout, and does all genres, including games and game design.
His expertise is extremely versatile--I have picked his brain for information on everything from covers to formatting and layout to ISBN's and even book selling events. Don is also a writer himself who has published several works of his own, which means he has experience in virtually every aspect of the writing process. He seems to enjoy reaching out to budding authors and helping them splash into the publishing world, as painlessly as possible! A little bit later, Don will talk about discounts he may offer to customers who would like multiple projects done, and I can attest from personal experience that his bundled discounts are VERY affordable for small budgets. He is very flexible and willing to work with you.
Today we will be focusing primarily on his talents for Cover Design. Throughout the interview, we will be sharing a couple of his finished covers. As you will see, he has done a variety of covers in many different genres. You can get more information on the services Don offers at his personal website.
Let's get started!
*****
Question:
What made you get into book cover design?
Answer:
Many years ago, I did a cover for one of my books, and a local publisher saw it and contacted me and had me literally redo a dozen of her existing covers.


Question:
Why do you think you have the success you do at cover design?
Answer:
I want to know about my cover I am designing. I want to understand the story and the author behind it. It is impossible for a cover designer to do an adequate job, unless they understand fully the story and or series the author wrote, and or is writing. I take the design personally as my name is attached to it. If it is just a copy of someone else’s, or uses pre-canned imagery? That reflects on me.


Question:
What tools do you use to make the cover you do?
Answer:
I utilize current version of Photoshop, Illustrator and Corel. Along with Acrobat Pro and several other tools such as my Wacom tablet. Plus the most important tool of all, paying attention to, and being in tune with my author and their story.

Question:
What bothers you most about modern cover design?
Answer:
I think it is that far too many people are doing cover design that should not be. I really despise inferior rushed work. Plus, not understanding the process. I see a lot of covers out there in print that are sized and scaled wrong. There is a very mechanical and specific science behind a good cover.


Question:
What should always be included in a cover design job?
Answer:
You should get a high resolution cover image for Ebooks. A low res for internet usage. You should get a scaled properly full wrap, sized to your page count (if you have the interior completed). You also should get a scannable ISBN barcode with a proper EAN barcode with it. Plus JPG, PDF  files of everything. And a complete release of all copyright signed by the designer against your book.


Question:
How long does it take you to do a cover?
Answer:
That varies on the author and how well they communicate with me, and also how much information they give me. My average time is 4 – 7 days.


Question:
How much do you charge for a book cover and book layout?
Answer:
A book cover complete is 120.00 and a book layout varies, it depends on the kind of book. If it is a standard book with a few images I charge 125.00 if it is a complicated layout such as a cook book, instructional manual and so on. I do charge more based on the difficulty of the layout job. If an author gives me both the layout and cover, I take 45.00 off of the job.


Question:
Do you give discounts for series and multi cover and layout jobs?
Answer:
Yes I do. I offer all my customers who use my services for multiple titles deep discounts.


Question:
How do you communicate with your customers?
Answer:
I use email, Yahoo Instant Messenger, SKYPE, Video call, phone and internet voice chat, I also if you are local would love to meet in person if you prefer. I think you need to be accessible to your author. Those I think offer that.


Question:
What advice can you give an author who is looking for a designer?
Answer:
First and foremost ask for published references. Not a friend who had it done, ask for references of authors whom they have done who are published in some way. Also, look at their work and DON’T settle for mundane. Demand your cover be awesome, inspiring and unique.


Question:
Do you write?
Answer:
Yes I do, I have published several books and a role playing game. I also am currently working on three books. One modern murder mystery, one mystery that takes place in London at the turnoff the century and a Fantasy novel. Ask me more and I will take up pages telling ya about it, as I love to talk about my writing.


Question:
What forms of payment do you take?
Answer:
Cash, Check and Paypal.

Question:
Finally, tell my readers what set you apart from the other designers out there.
Answer:
This is hard to do without sounding conceited. However, to be blunt about the question: I pay attention to the details, and I know that people do in fact judge a book by its cover. I understand that the cover should reflect the story and the content. As a designer my aim is to not only make my author happy. But also I want to make sure their cover fits their book, has imagery that is unique and has a “grab me” appeal on the shelf. I also do not stop until my author is happy as I am sure Savannah will attest.

****
I can attest to the fact that Don will bend over backward trying to please you. When he designed After, he sent me multiple mock-ups and put up with input from not only me but members of my enthusiastic family as well. Patience is definitely one of his strong qualities! If you are interested in getting a cover design of your own, hop on over Don's blog and be sure to mention I sent you! He will be delighted to speak you.



1 comment:

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhnjtwhUUU

    ReplyDelete