Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Ring Around the Rose Week 5



This week for Ring Around the Rose, we have TWO questions we will be answering. Feel free to answer them yourself and leave your answers in the comments or leave us links to your own blog post, and don't forget to check out the lovely post on Kaycee's blog from yesterday.

First, what is the first story you ever wrote?


I wrote my very first story when I was in elementary school. I didn't even know what a paragraph was. My mother was reading Little House in the Prairie out loud to me and my brothers, and since we grew up watching John Wayne and Davy Crockett, and listening to Marmie's readings of Louis L'Amour, I was a huge fan of cowboys and Indians. My story was about two girls on a wagon train heading west who were kidnapped by Indians. They made friends with their captors and somehow made it back to their wagon train. Happily ever after, The End.

I know. But, please, I was in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, remember? I can't even remember the title of the story, but I still have it, packed away in a pile of boxes in my entry way, waiting for me to some day have an office. I wrote the whole story up by hand--all ten pages of it--and designed my own cover. I also bound the book myself, by using a hole punch and yellow yarn. I wish I could have found it and taken a picture to share, but even after fifteen months in our new home, this place is still in disarray from all of our home renovations.

I was so proud of that sad, little story. It really is a terrible, terrible story, but I will never get rid of it because it was MY first book, and all ten of those little pages are dear to me. We all have to start somewhere, and I think it is vital to remember where you came from in order to truly appreciate where you are today, and what you have become. Our past may not define us, but it certainly plays a vital role in sculpting what we have become.

And, just because the Five Enchanted Roses authors and I love to have a good time when we are not busy working and writing, we threw in a bonus question this week:

What is your favorite Pixar movie?



Now, the unfairness of this question is the fact I have to pick only one. Really, that is truly an impossible task, but if I had to pick my absolute favorite, I would probably choose The Incredibles. I just LOVE the family dynamics. I really enjoy stories that play off the problems we face in our everyday lives--feelings of dissatisfaction with our ho-hum ordinary lives. Of frustration with our imperfect loved ones. Of the allure of the mysterious unknown wooing us away from the safety of our homes, and of the great satisfaction in realizing that all we ever wanted was already in our own backyard. Not to mention, all those super powers and clever one-liners?


"Honey, where's my super suit?" has to be one of the best lines ever written.

And Edna and Jack-Jack? What more could a fangirl ask for?

If I were allowed to pick a second favorite, which I'm convinced I am, I would admit to being a huge fan of WALL-E. I know, it is not the most exciting or the funniest Pixar movie, but it is so stinking cute, with all those Hello Dolly references and his little cockroach sidekick. WALL-E is one of those sad little characters that totally steals your heart with his innocence and search for belonging.

What is your favorite Pixar movie? Please, take a moment and tell me in the comments! Also, don't forget to visit some of the other bloggers participating in this fun series. Feel free to join us at any time. Tomorrow, Jenelle will be sharing her story.

Kaycee at The Pink Cave
Jenelle at Jenelle Schmidt
Dorian at Dorian Writes
Hayden at The Story Girl
Heidi at Along the Brandywine
Grace at A Live Masterpiece

3 comments:

  1. I love The Incredibles! That one is definitely in my top 5 Pixars. The super suit conversation between Frozone and his wife never fails to make me laugh. Complete genius! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your first story sounds pretty good, actually.

    I love The Incredibles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, indeed! One of my first works was for my brother (all about big rigs and cars and things with wheels, etc.) -- and it's actually bound together with green duct-tape and cardboard covers! ;) We still have it somewhere in the attic.....

    And here's my link! http://ladyofanorien.blogspot.com/2015/07/ring-around-rose-week-5-from-philipines.html?showComment=1436038704620#c752011792794394016

    And I've been enjoying your Wither Pinterest page. :)

    ReplyDelete